Wednesday, April 1, 2015

March 30,2015 Spiritual Moment amiss the chaos !!

Dear EVERYONE:
First let me start by saying that I love you all! I have had so many awesome moments this week and unfortunately probably won't get to all of them, but I want to share the most special ones and funniest ones with you.  
So on friday we had a lesson with a new convert at the Bishop's house with him and his wife. The lesson went pretty well, and I actually was able to contribute well a few sentences to the conversation and somewhat understood the gist of what was being talked about.  It was nice to be there and I really love our bishop and his wife.  So after the lesson, they started talking about this stuff that we were going to eat.  I didn't really understand all that was being said and my companion didn't really say anything to me, which I think she did on purpose, haha because she knew what was coming...  So we sit down to the table and there is this stuff that looks kind of like chocolate goo.  Almost like brown batter before you cook it.  I had no idea what it was, but it looked kind of like chocolate.  They were explaining that it was like an Easter food.  So I just went along with what everyone else was doing and just did what my companion and everyone else did.  I could tell they were all kind of watching me, but I was like well, I guess this is normal-- just follow my companion's example.  So she put like a big scoop in her bowl, so I did the same.  Then we put like sugar on top, so I did the same.  Then she poured what I figured was cream in her bowl over this stuff.  So I did the same.  Well then she started eating, so I figured it couldn't be all that bad... I mean it didn't look terrible.  Sugar? Cream? Goo?  How bad could it be?  Well while analyzing this... I look up to realize everyone is waiting for me to take a bite and see my reaction which sort of made me nervous, but we all laughed for probably a good minute before I finally took a bite.  IT WAS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!!! It took everything in me not to puke.  I tried my hardest to keep a smile on my face and just said (in English) well it's not that bad.  It tastes like really bitter rye bread in goo form in a bowl with sugar and bland cream.  I guess my face must have said it all because they all laughed really hard.  I tried to keep eating it and acting like it wasn't that bad, but I seriously didn't know how I was going to finnish what I had taken.  I guess Sister Seegmiller really likes the stuff so she took a big bowl full and I did the same which was a huge mistake.  Our Bishop luckily knew haha, and luckily told me I didn't have to finnish it, which I was really grateful for.  There was no way I could have finnished it.  It was a really funny moment needless to say and just so everyone knows, the stuff is called Mämmi.... and it is gross.  
So anyways... now that I have that funny story out of the way, it's time for my really super great awesome spiritual experience I had just two days ago on Sunday.  So the day started out like this:  We did studies for a bit in the morning and then headed to church.  I was already irritated by the time we got to church because my companion has well a really hard time getting out of the house so we make it places on time haha but I love her regardless.  Anyways... so we got to church and I got asked to say the closing prayer in sacrament meeting.  I was a bit nervous, but it was all good.  Church went pretty well, and I volunteered us to sit in primary with a new convert's daughters because they won't stay in there.  It was pretty fun sitting with the little kids and singing Finnish primary songs. haha but Anyways... church got over and we went home and finnished our studies.  Then we had dinner and set out for an older ladies house in the ward, which we go and visit every week.  Neither one of us were paying attention at the metro station and accidentally got on the bus to go to Vuosaari instead of Mellunmäki.  So we ended up being a half hour late for our lesson and visit with her.  It was really frustrating.  Then we finally left there and I thought Sister Seegmiller knew where we were going to get to this new investigators house.  He is like our first real Finnish speaking investigator and we were really excited for the lesson.  Well we started wandering around and I soon came to find out she really didn't know where we were going like she said she did, and how was I supposed to know where to go...  So We like went in a complete circle and by this time we were already supposed to be at our lesson and the Bishop's wife would have been waiting for us.  We were completely in the wrong area and in order to get to his house, we would have to walk about 10 minutes to the metro station and then ride it back to Itäkeskus and then on the other metro to Vuosaari.  And then, take a bus from there to get to his house.  Needless to say... we were going to be completely late for this first lesson with this investigator.  It was cold and rainy and I was just really frustrated with Sister Seegmiller.  And frustrated with the situation.  Finally we got a hold of the Bishops wife and she said she would pick us up at the Itäkeskus metro station and take us to his house from there which would save us a ton of time.  So we called the man and luckily he was really patient and just said it was fine because he would be home the rest of the evening.  Our walk back to the metro and on the metro was dead silent.  I know Sister Seegmiller was frustrated and I wasn't really sure if maybe she was with me too, but I couldn't think of anything I could have done to cause that because how was I supposed to know where to go.  I tried to help as best I could and make decisions on the crunch time we had.  Anyways... we got to his house finally and we were just both I think really feeling awful going into this lesson.  When he opened the door, it was not the kind of man I was expecting.  He had long hair that was in bun in the back of his head, and tattoos on his arms, and earrings, and there were some big dogs barking in his apartment, and it wreaked like smoke.  Needless to say, I was really hesitant and probably judged too quickly.  I wasn't really sure what to think.  But we walked in and started taking our stuff of, and all the sudden this huge feeling of love and forgiveness and gratitude and sympathy for my companion came over me and I just turned her toward me before we walked into the living room and I just said, I love you and it's okay we got lost tonight.  Everything is okay! So we walked in there and well the short version of this story is this: I have never felt so much love towards someone I don't know at all before.  There was something so different about this man.  I seriously didn't know what he said and I understood really nothing of the lesson and I didn't say a whole lot, but I know that halfway through the lesson, I was prompted to share a scripture.  I turned to my companion and told her and we ended up reading a few verses in Alma 32 about having a desire to believe.  It was so weird when we walked out of the lesson and we finally were by ourselves in the metro station.  We walked in silence for probably about 3 minutes when finally we started talking.  We seriously were both so amazed.  I told her about how I hadn't understood anything of the lesson and just had felt prompted to share that scripture.  She told me how perfect the scripture had been and the timing of it too.  It was crazy though... Here we were both so frustrated with everything and we get to this man's house and we both just felt the spirit so strongly.  We both told of our feelings that night and we were both in tears on the metro ride and walk home.  We hugged pretty hard and I just was so grateful.  I am really hopeful of this man and I am grateful for the experience we both had and the way the Lord answered our prayers and for his tender mercies and the way he looks out for us and blesses us.  I am grateful for my companion and her testimony and faith.  I am grateful for the chance I had to follow the spirit and even though Finnish is still really a struggle right now, Heavenly Father provides us with other ways to help us share what we know and believe sometimes.  He is always watching out for us and cares about us and wants to help us. 
I have just had the most awesome week and I am grateful for the chance I have to teach people while learning and growing on my own as well! I love you all so much! 
Rakkaudella,
Sisar Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment