Tuesday, February 2, 2016

February 2, 2016 Everyday is like a New Year!

Kaikille:
Right at this very moment I feel so much love.  So much love for my Savior Jesus Christ, for my Father in Heaven, and for the blessings everyday that I receive.  They are there.  Every,  Single, Day, Everywhere.  All we have to do is look for them.  Here are some of the best moments from this week:

We have an investigator who is a man about in his late 50's.  We've had about 3 lessons with him now, and things are still going well.  That's a positive.  This last lesson, we decided to really focus on Prophets and the importance of them.  I guess we didn't do the very best job teaching, or maybe just checking for understanding, because we got him to say the closing prayer, and he thanked God for sending these angels and prophets (US) to help him out.  Definitely I am still learning to be a better teacher.  A better question asker.  To simplify and to testify always.  I'm so glad we have the chance to get better and improve, and I'm grateful that through prayer, Heavenly Father helps us to know that we probably haven't taught as well as we could have.

We met a lady on the street who actually interrupted a conversation we were having on the street with another man who wasn't super interested. She really wanted to know who we were and what exactly we we were doing. Well, eventually the other guy wasn't so interested so we gave him a pass a-long card and he went on his way. Well the lady stayed and started to talk to us in Finnish and then asked where we were from. When we told her America, instantly she broke into perfect American-sounding English. It was really weird. It's not everyday that you hear Americans speaking perfect Finnish and sounding like one too, or visa-versa. Well she was from the Heluntai Seurakunta and very strong in her beliefs. We were able to hear a lot about what she believes and share some of our own beliefs. Unfortunately, she was really firm in what she believes and not super accepting of ours. I think it was hard for me in a way to walk away from that contact because I knew that everything she had just told me about her religion was just oh, so close. She just was missing a part-- which to us is a big part, but in the scheme of religions, hers was fairly close in what they believe and practice. Something interesting that I have pondered since then is just how much my heart hurt for her and how much I wish I could just let her have my heart, my mind, my thoughts, so that she could feel and see and know what I know. She is such a good person, and I could clearly see that, but she just is missing what we have. I tried so much to bear my testimony, to tell her about the Restoration, but yet she was just still so firm in her ways. I think because of that contact, it has made me look at each person we talk to even more on a personal level. I feel the importance of "making these things known unto the inhabitants of the Earth." It's just so important. I feel it in my heart and I know how much they need it.

Quick side note -  I forgot to mention last week:
Sister Adams slipped on the ice in the morning on our way to the church to exercise.  She had a little bit of built up energy and dared to start running in circles on the ice, and the next thing I know I hear this big loud thump behind me and Sister Adams is laying face down.  I. Felt So Bad.  The ice here is deathly.  They don't put salt on it like they do in America-- Just gravel, and I can just say, it doesn't help all that much.  We have had to be super careful when we're walking because it's been super super slippery lately.

So our main form of transportation is buses, and this past week it has really snowed a lot.  Because earlier, it's been so cold, the snow hasn't been too wet.  Well, this week it's been much warmer and so the snow was a lot thicker and more wet.  The buses didn't exactly take to that too well, and we had some pretty fun and crazy experiences riding the buses.  One night, the bus slid like halfway across the road.  It was pretty scary.  But no worries mom, everyone drives safely here and watches out much better than they do in America, so I think we'll be okay.

I also had a really awesome experience with prayer this week. We had a lesson for one of our investigators and for the life of us, we couldn't figure out what we needed to teach her. She has been taught just about all the lessons, and invited to baptism multiple times, but right now there are some barriers holding her back. We just really were stumped and had talked and searched for a while. Finally, I thought back to last week's scripture studying and the scripture I had wrote on the wall, "Have ye inquired of the Lord?". Right at once I thought, that's just it-- we need to ask Heavenly Father for His divine help again. So,
we all knelt down and said a prayer. Instantly, when we finished praying it was like my brain was completely opened. The thoughts started to flow more clearly through my head of what we needed to teach. It was a really awesome feeling, as if Heavenly Father was just typing everything down in my head. The lesson we taught ended up going really well, and I knew that Heavenly Father was the reason. I am so grateful for prayer. I am grateful that whenever and wherever we are, we can turn to our Father in Heaven and ask for His help. I know he is real and he loves us and wants to help us.

This Sunday, the recent convert family's kids were all blessed in church.  It was such a special moment for me and I was just so grateful that God has made it possible for me to stay here in Jyväskylä longer and to be with them.  As their kids were being blessed, I couldn't help but think, "wow, all because I chose to open my mouth.  All because I was willing to knock on all those doors and testify to all those people, whether they wanted to listen or not."  This family really is a testimony to me that "by small and simple things, are great things brought to pass."  I have seen so many of those small things turn into something great, and still continues too.  They are preparing right now to go to the temple to do Baptisms for the Dead soon and we'll just keep making steps after that.  I know that God's hand is in everything.  I am so very grateful everyday that I knocked on their door and was willing to just simply open my mouth.

I have been reading in 1 Nephi this past week and I came across some verses that I really have pondered this week.  The verses are these:

"And thus we see that the commandments of God must be fulfilled. And if it so be that the children of men keep the commandments of God he doth nourish them,and strengthen them, and provide means whereby they can accomplish the thing which he has commanded them; wherefore, he did provide means for us while we did sojourn in the wilderness.
And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto me,saying: Thou shalt construct a ship, after the manner which I shall show thee, that I may carry thy people across these waters.

And I said: Lord, whither shall I go that I may find ore to molten, that I may make tools to construct the ship after the manner which thou hast shown unto me?" (1 Nephi 17:3;8-9)

I just really love that when God gives Nephi a commandment.  Nephi doesn't stop and ask why.  He doesn't think why do I have to do this, or can't I build it some other way.  Why can't we just go a different way.  He doesn't ask any of these.  He just turns to the Lord and says okay how do you want me to do this.  I am striving to be more like Nephi everyday-- to go and do as the Lord has commanded, turn to Him in prayer for His guidance and His direction, and then like Nephi to Go and Do.  I know that God has blessed me as I have done this.  I know that He will continue to do so too.  I am grateful for this gospel and the knowledge, purpose, direction, and peace that it brings to my life.  I am grateful for this beautiful country and that I received the call to serve here.  I am grateful to be an instrument in the Lord's hands.  I know He is watching over us and He loves and knows each one of us personally.  "Turn to Him in all thy ways, and He shall direct they paths for good." (Proverbs 3:5)  I promise that He will.  Have a great week! I love you all!



Rakkaudellani,

Sisar Jordan


Finally.... I snuck in a picture of Jyväskylä's center.
  I LOVE this city!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment