Monday, October 5, 2015

Aug 25th 2015 Q&A's

I sent an email to Schyler with a few questions. Thought I would share her answers her since there was no big email for everyone today and I think the answers are important enough to share......so here goes.

1) What things did you do in High School that you are glad you did - things that helped you be more ready for a mission?

Schy's answer:

  * Go to seminary with the attitude that whatever the lesson was on, was something that God wanted me to hear that day and that there was always something to learn.  Even if it was just scripture mastery quizzes.  When I went I went with the intent to be edified and uplifted, seminary became much more personal and spiritual and it helped me to leave that building with a renewed testimony to choose the right and be a better person. 

 * Remember that your parents and leaders are "God's messengers" in a sense.  God has placed these people in your life for a specific reason-- even your parents (I know that sounds funny).  But they are there to help you choose the right and they want what is best for you, even if you sometimes don't realize or think it.  Ask for their advice, learn from them, and let them become your best friends.  Remember they are older and wiser!  

*Don't forget to pray!  For the majority of my time in high school, I would try to remember to pray every night.  Then I remember multiple times when I just knew I needed help or I just felt alone.  Maybe it was even before a basketball game-- Of course I knew that God wouldn't just magically at the end of the game change the score so that we would win, but he would give me the strength to play and the stamina to last the game.  He would give me a clear mind to focus on the plays and guarding the person in front of me.  He would help my body to function properly so that I could play.  I can't say at the time (during high school), that I felt like my prayers were necessarily always answered (or at least I didn't notice), but I know that just that relationship that I developed with my Heavenly Father, helped me to know that I could find peace in just talking to him and knowing that he was listening.  He didn't always take all my problems away or solve them for me, neither did he just magically make me change things that were wrong in my life, but he gave me the peace, comfort, assurance, guidance, and strength to do so myself.  I may not have seen it then, and maybe you can't see the purpose of prayer in your life right now, but just DON'T FORGET TO PRAY! God is listening and your prayers will always in one way or another be answered, maybe not the way you planned or expected, but they will be answered. 


2) Is there anything you wish you would have done different to prepare for a mission?

Schy's answer:YES!!!  -Read my scriptures and pay much more attention when you have family scripture study and also in seminary.  Seriously, you don't have to be a scriptorian on your mission, but it sure helps a lot to be able to share a favorite scripture with someone on the street when you actually have one and to be able to explain "why" it's your favorite and the story behind the scripture.    -Share the Gospel.  I know growing up in small town beaver, you think... "everyone is Mormon", there aren't very many missionary opportunities, but trust me, there are!!!  There were moments I remember being prompted to just talk to someone I didn't even know in high school before because maybe they needed a friend and I knew they weren't mormon, and maybe that would help them to come to know of the gospel.  If you think about it this way... we really are lucky because we live in a town where so many people are Mormon, then you know who is and who isn't!  Go find those who aren't and Share the gospel with them!   You'll be surprised at what happens!!!  
3) Sum up your experiences of the last 8 months?
Schy's answer:ugh... I am running out of time mom.. sorry.  I wish I could say more.  Simply put-- the last eight months have taught me more about God's love and his plan for me in my life.  I have learned of the Savior's infinite Atoning sacrifice for me and all mankind and that for me personally, that means that not only did he suffer for my sins, but also for my weaknesses, trials, pains, and sorrow.  He knows perfectly well what we experience in life.  I love the words to "I Stand All Amazed" and "How Great Thou Art".  They sum up perfectly what I feel about the last eight months at least personally in my life.    This is my favorite quote right now to go along with that:
"Your Heavenly Father loves you-- each of you.  That love NEVER changes.  It is not influenced by your appearance, by your possessions, or by the amount of money you have in your bank account.  It is not changed by your talents and abilities.  It is simply there.  It is there for you when you are sad or happy, discouraged or hopeful.  God's love is there for you whether or not you feel you deserve love.  It is simply ALWAYS there."  -President Monson 


No comments:

Post a Comment