Wednesday, March 30, 2016

March 29, 2016 The Power of The Resurrection

Kaikille:
Well finally here I am.  Sorry it's been a while.  So to update everyone.  I am serving now in Oulu.  It's the farthen
 most city in Finland that sisters get to serve in.  It's alone the ocean so that is amazing.  Pretty much the ocean runs in like little rivers through the middle of the city.  There are bridges everywhere.  The sunrises and sunsets are seriously magical.  They are so beautiful.  I feel so close to the sky because everything is so much more vibrant and just feels so much closer.  My first week here, the sunset was so beautiful one day that I thought that we were maybe in Heaven.  The sun was so huge and bright and amazing.  I love it.

So we ride bikes.  That's different.  But.  It's good.  It keeps things exciting all the time to try and keep my skirt down and stop people all the time and try not to crash-- especially in all the ice, slush, and snow.  Oh did I mention, there's still a ton of snow here and it also snowed a bunch more this last week.  But it's okei, because I love the snow.  The nice thing about being up here this far north at this time of year, is that the sun is now out even longer.  I can't even imagine what it's going to be like in the summer time.  It will be like day all day (including the night).  That will be crazy.  I hope I get to stay for that, because I already really love this place.  The members here are awesome.  It's a smaller ward than in Jyväskylä, but it definitely doesn't show.  The members are crazy about missionary work and they do so much to help us.  It's awesome.

My new companion's name is Sister Powell.  She is from Logan, Utah.  She's one change ahead of me, so she goes home this next transfer.  She's been a sister training leader for 4 months and she not only is an AMAZING missionary, but a really experienced and wonderful Sister Training Leader.  I most of the time am just straggling along behind her trying to catch up because she works so hard.  It's awesome.  She is super great at Finnish and an amazing teacher.  I don't think I've ever met a more perfect missionary or person in my life.  Sister Powell is amazing.  That's not cliche, it's not some nice phrase, it's not just me being nice.  It's the honest truth.  She is so great, and I don't know how she does it, but it's so cool and I'm so glad that I have the chance to learn from her and with her.

So this week we had a really awesome experience. Our first week together, Sister Powell and I were waiting at the bottom of an apartment building for a member to come to one of our lessons and this lady walks in the door. We decide to talk to her and end up getting a return appointment for about a week or more later. I honestly didn't think too much more about it, until about 4 days ago we were headed home from this same investigator's house and I saw this same lady walking down the street. So I stopped my bike and said, "Hey! How are you?" As I stopped my bike and Sister Powell stopped behind me, I realized that there were tears streaming down here face. So of course we immediately asked what was wrong. I never would have expected the words that came out next. She says, "My mom died today." My heart just sunk. Just hurt. So badly for this girl. So I wrapped my arms around her and just stood there hugging her. I just wasn't exactly sure what else to do right at that moment. Here Sister Powell and I were-- two 20 yr old girls, we had never experienced something like that in our lives. What was I supposed to even say? But that's what I love so much about being a missionary-- Sharing the hope of the Gospel with people. So then we decided to pray with her. As I started to pray, my heart filled with peace-- not because this was okay, but because I know that the Gospel would help her. It would be the only thing really that could bring that peace into her life, and I knew that God has helped us to cross paths with her when we did, because I know that she needed us that night, and that she will need the Gospel right now. After we prayed, Sister Powell had a really awesome idea to watch the new Easter "Hallelujah" video with her. Of course it's perfect because it talks all about people who know that they can see all of their family members again that have passed on because of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Her phone was almost completely dead, but I know that Heavenly Father blessed that phone to work all the way through the video so that she could see it. And then we bore our testimonies to her we gave her another hug. Then she said, "Send me a message this week, and we can meet." And then she walked away. I'm not sure that she has any other family. She was all alone on that street that night walking home crying. I just am so so grateful that Heavenly Father helped us to find her and her to find us. I know that it's not a coincidence when we meet people. Sometimes we don't always see the effects that either they have on us or we have on them, but I know that God places people in our paths for a reason. Oh how grateful I am for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Oh how grateful I am that I have the opportunity to share this with others who so desperately need it in their lives just like I do.

Oh how I wish I could share all that is happening here with you all.  It's just amazing.  So much happens in one week.  But for now, just remember how much God loves you and how much I love and appreciate all of you.  Wherever you are in the world right now, YOU are making a difference in the lives of those around you small or big.  I know that.  Keep it up.  You are amazing.  Love you all lots!!!! Have a great week.

Rakkaudellani,

Sisar Schyler Ann Jordan
All the Sisters in our Zone plus the amazing Sister Watson.  Sister Powell my companion is right by me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment