Tuesday, May 3, 2016

May 3, 2016 The Hand of God

Where do I even begin to describe the last week? It has been an amazing and miraculous one for sure. Maybe even if I might say, the best thee very best week of my mission. So I want to tell you about the best day of them all. It was saturday. I'm not sure exactly why I was feeling this way, but after our lesson in the morning, I was a bit frustrated. I felt that I hadn't taught as well as I could have and had wished that my Finnish would have just gone better so that the investigator could understand better. It's never very good when you're frustrated with yourself, especially me as I've learned that that just leads to one more be-littling thought about myself and what I'm doing until I've driven myself right into a pit. So I prayed and prayed in my heart biking to our next lessons that Heavenly Father would just help me to pull out of this one. I prayed that He could help me to see all the things that were going right and had gone well. I prayed that He would just help me be strong enough to move on and just improve, but not be so hard on myself. And one thought led to the next until we ended up at a potential investigators house that we had met about 6 weeks previous on the street. He was a younger kid that we had met while contacting one night in the center. He had been with His friends who were all smoking. They were by this alleyway and I have to be honest (which is awful of me and I really don't want to admit) but I had this small thought that I hoped Sister Powell wouldn't stop and talk to them since she was in front of me, because I just didn't know quite what to expect. But of course she stopped and talked to them (for which I am so so grateful). The two friends were not interested at all, but this one, actually was. We watched the video with him and talked about the Book of Mormon. He gave us his number and address and set up an appointment with us. Well when we went for the appointment then, no one was home. We tried a few times after that to set up lessons and what not, but he never answered or was never home. So we had stopped for a while. Well then a week ago, we decided to give it a try again. And what do you know there we found ourselves on Saturday, when I had been having such a hard time. 

When we got to his apartment and called him to come open the door, he had actually been asleep. I don't think he had really remembered that we had set up an appointment, but I know God had total control of that day, and we were blessed to be able to come when he was home. When we walked in the door of his apartment, I almost gasped. It was a mess-- food all over the table clothes and just stuff everywhere all over the floor. Dirty dirty dirty. Beer cans on the counter and floor and this cat. There was pizza crust underneath the bed that had been there for I'm not even sure how long. I just felt awful for him. So fast forward a bit. We sit down on the mattress and start to teach him. I can't even begin to tell you the love that I felt immediately from the moment we walked in the door. He listened so well to everything that we had to say, and even began to tell us that a lot of really miraculous things had happened in his life in the last year and it couldn't help but make him think and believe that there was someone watching our for him. So then we invited him to baptism. And.. He said yes. He said yes on the first lesson, no hesitation at all. It was awesome. Then it was time for the closing prayer. We explained to him a little about how we pray and then all kneeled down. We asked him if he would say the closing prayer. He hesitated for a bit and thought about it and then sitting there on that dirty mattress with the random cat rounging around in that dirty dirty apartment, he started to pray. It was thee most sincere and honest prayer I have ever heard before. It was literally as if God was sitting right there on that mattress with us. It was like a Father who had been waiting for so long to have his son come back home. I felt so much love. So so so much love. He told Heavenly Father about the things that he had done in his life. He apologized for the mistakes he had made. He acknowledged all the amazing things that he had seen in his life in the last year and just simply asked God to help him to know he was there and what he wanted him to do. We left that building on saturday, and as we walked away, tears just streamed down my face. I've never experienced anything like that before. I'm just so grateful to know that I am here being the tool through which Heavenly Father can find his children and bring them back to Him. I'm so grateful that Sister Powell decided to talk to him that day and that we had the faith and direction from Heavenly Father to get back in contact and teach this boy. I will forever be grateful for that day, and for the spirit that I felt as we taught him and as he prayed. I'm so grateful for my Heavenly Father and for the tender mercies that He allows me to be a part of everyday. I'm so grateful for the Gospel and the lessons that I am learning here in Finland. I know this Gospel is true.  It's changing lives and in the process it's changing mine.  I love you all so very much and I'm so grateful for all that you've done to help me be where I am today.  I love you all! Have a great week! 

Sisar Jordan
At the temple for MLC :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment